it's that time of year

it's that time of year

a middle tennessee garden blog


finding beauty in the natural things around us makes for one happy self and a lovely life. ~marmee

dash home farm, leiper's fork, tennessee

Saturday, December 5, 2009

holiday happiness...day 5 ~ 12 days of christmas


day 4 in the 12 days of christmas hosted by hoe and shovel.


this is also a great time to buy trees and shrubs...
got this teddy bear magnolia to go with another one i
purchased earlier this year and planted for mother's day.

believe it or not, december is the best time of the year to plant trees.
you might be surprized to learn that they make 75% of their root growth
between mid~ november and mid~march. plant now and you give them
time to get some good root growth before they have to face the demands
of a another growing season.

plus this was 50% off....yippee!


this one isn't in the ground yet but soon..

happy days of december.

5 comments:

Darla said...

It is funny the looks I get when husband and I plant trees in Dec. and Jan...

Meems said...

Oh, yes, you needed another one of these and how can you beat 50% off. So many garden centers have their trees on special right now... this is the time to buy and plant. You are right about the root growth and then in spring it will put on a nice flush of greenery. Great find and happy Day 4, dear Marmee.
Meems

marmee said...

darla,
i know what you mean...my far away neighbours think we are a little off.
happy december.

marmee said...

meems,
i know i wish i could buy all they had but alas it's christmas.
i really like getting such a deal...it makes me want to shop more at this time of year for this kind of stuff.
happy day 4 in december.

Lola said...

That's a pretty little tree. I must see if it will grow here. I know regular magnolia do. I really like them so maybe if it will grow here maybe I can squeeze it in.
I like trees for they have a lot of benefits. I had trees from Tn. N.C. in my yard at the old place.
Good deal on the little gem.